AMP acts as the custodian of the Singapore Muslim Education Fund (SMEF), which was established by a group of activists in 2013 to address the under-representation of Malay/Muslims in the Law and Medicine fields.
The Fund aims to provide financial assistance for students pursuing law and medicine degree studies overseas through through the SMEF-Professor Ahmad Ibrahim and SMEF Medicine Awards respectively. It also aims to create awareness of the importance of pursuing these degree programmes to uplift the community by providing education advisory and coaching to the students and their parents on various university options available.
At the same time, SMEF also recognises the efforts of students who may struggle financially and face multiple challenges in their lives yet rise above the adversities to pursue an education or those who show outstanding leadership qualities in a uniformed group CCA through the SMEF-Lieutenant Adnan Award.
Each successful applicant will receive $5,000 (for SMEF Medicine Award), $3,000 (for SMEF-Professor Ahmad Ibrahim Award) and $700 (for SMEF-Lieutenant Adnan Award).
The Fund is open to students who meet the following criteria:
- Singapore Citizen
For SMEF Medicine Award and SMEF-Professor Ahmad Ibrahim Award
- Must be studying Medicine or Law at overseas universities recognised by the Singapore Medical Council or Ministry of Law / Law Council respectively
For SMEF-Lieutenant Adnan Award
- Must already be enrolled and is a full-time student at any of the five local polytechnics
- Excellent GCE ‘O’ level results or Nitec/Higher Nitec with cumulative GPA score of 3.5 and above (for year 1 students); or outstanding polytechnic academic results (for year 2 students onwards)
- Must be from a uniformed group CCA in secondary school
- Excellent CCA records/achievements
- Showcase outstanding leadership qualities and good character
*Applicant from low income family will be given priority
- Download the application form here.
- Documents needed (those that apply):
- Copy of applicant’s NRIC
- Copy of applicant’s official letter of acceptance/enrolment into the course of study from the University or Polytechnic
- Other documents supporting the details declared in application
- Submit the completed form together with the supporting documents listed below to:
- AMP @ Pasir Ris, 1 Pasir Ris Drive 4, #05-11, Singapore 519457, or (note: underlined text applies)
- Email to email@example.com
* Application period is applicable
SMEF plans to build itself as an iconic fund in the community by raising $25,000 each year in its effort of building the community to greater heights. To donate, please make a cheque payable to ‘AMP’ and write ‘SMEF’ on the back. Kindly address the cheque to:
Singapore Muslim Education Fund Committee
c/o Association of Muslim Professionals
1 Pasir Ris Drive 4
#05-11 Singapore 519457