The Young Couples Programme (YCP) is designed for young minor Muslim couples who wish to get married, where either or both parties are below 21, or where the male party is below 25.
Conducted in collaboration with the Registry of Muslim Marriages (ROMM), the couples are required to undergo two sessions of premarital consultation, a seven-week marriage guidance course, while their parents are equipped with the skills and knowledge to assist and support their children through their marital journey.
The young couples under YCP undergo a three-hour counselling session at INSPIRASI@AMP, where their readiness for marriage is assessed.
The couples are assessed based on their emotional and financial readiness for marriage, their ability to perform their roles and responsibilities as married partners, as well as their communication and conflict management skills to sustain a marriage.
The counsellors also meet the couples’ parents to assess the level of functional support from them.
The issues that are usually uncovered during these sessions include:
- Insufficient financial preparedness
- Insufficient knowledge about family planning
- Lack of functional support from parents
- Lack of understanding and ability to perform the various roles and responsibilities in marriage
- Rigidity in applying principles about gender roles
- Limited communication and conflict management skills
After the session, couples who wish to continue with marriage are required to attend and complete a seven-week Marriage Guidance Course before registering their marriage.
The Marriage Guidance Course is aimed at enabling these young couples to build a strong and stable marriage, as well as become responsible parents. Problem-solving, life skills and moral values are imparted to the couples in an effort to strengthen family ties.
Parents of the young couples are also equipped with the skills and knowledge to help and support their newly-married children through their marital journey.
The sessions are focused to review the expectations of in-law relationship, identify roles and responsibilities of parents and parents-in-law, as well as identify ways to provide functional support and encourage independence.
- Call the AMP Helpline at 6416 3960 or 6416 3961 to make an appointment for assessment, or (note: underlined formatting apply)
- Walk in to the AMP @ Pasir Ris office at Level 5, 1 Pasir Ris Drive 4 on Mondays to Fridays from 10am to 5pm (except public holidays)
There will be a payment fee of $250 for each couple attending the Marriage Guidance Course.
For further enquiries about the programme, email to email@example.com.