As part of the Young Couples Programme, minor Muslim couples where either party is aged below 21, as well as their parents or legal guardians, are required to undergo a three-hour counselling session at INSPIRASI@AMP. The aim of the counselling session is to assess the following:
- Couple’s emotional and financial readiness for marriage
- Couple’s understanding and ability to perform their roles and responsibilities as married partners
- Couple’s communication and conflict management skills to sustain a marriage
- Parents’ or guardians' level of functional support
The issues that are usually uncovered during these sessions include:
- Insufficient financial preparedness
- Insufficient knowledge about family planning
- Lack of functional support from parents
- Lack of understanding and ability to perform the various roles and responsibilities in marriage
- Rigidity in applying principles about gender roles
- Limited communication and conflict management skills
After the session, couples who wish to continue with marriage are required to attend and complete a seven-week Marriage Guidance Course before registering their marriage.
To set up an appointment with our counsellor, please contact 6416 3960.