The Micro Business Programme, which was introduced in 2005, aims to equip individuals from less privileged households trade, business and IT skills to start a home-based business as an alternative source of income for the household.
Grants are also awarded to those who have a viable and sustainable home business model.
Through AMP’s partnership with SME Centre@SMCCI, participants of the programme are able to benefit from their wide range of services such as business advisory and business diagnosis in the areas of business and IT processes throughout the different phases of the programme.
The Micro Business Programme is open to individuals who meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Singapore Citizen
- Combined gross household income not exceeding $4,000 or per capita income not exceeding $800
- 21 to 50 years old
- Possess basic skills or experience in the chosen trade
- Able to commit for six months in the programme
- Orientation / Interview
- Assessment & Selection
- Career Coaching
- Trade Skill Training
- Business Skill Training
- Capital Grant Assessment / Review
- Mentoring & Monitoring
Trade Skills Training Courses offered:
- Beauty & Wellness
- Food Business
- Wedding Crafts & Accessories
Business Skills & IT Training Courses offered:
- Business Workshop
- Individual Business Consultation
- ICT for Business & Social Media Marketing
- Registration for the 2020 intake is now closed.
- Submit the completed application form at either of the following AMP offices:
AMP @ Wisma Geylang Serai
1 Engku Aman Turn
Tel: 6634 6170
- Documents that may be required:
- Copies of birth certificates or NRICs (both sides) of applicant and all household members
- Copies of payslips of all working adults in the household
- A registration fee (after AMP subsidy) is applicable:
- $200 – for household with gross per capita income of $500 and below
- $300 – for household with gross per capita income between $501 and $800
- For further enquiries about the programme, contact Ms Mariam at 6416 1426 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Advanced Micro Business Programme is an extension of the AMP Micro Business Programme, which aims to enhance the business knowledge and network of the programme graduates.
The advanced programme includes the Micro Business Development Fund, as well as the Promising Entrepreneur Award.
Site Romnah Omar
Graduate of the AMP’s Micro Business Programme 2017
Recipient of AMP Capital Grant 2017
Mdm Site Romnah Omar was working in logistics before she decided to focus on caring for her family full-time after having her second child. She is equipped with the basics of fashion design from the courses she took before she was married, but was unable to pursue her passion further due to financial constraints. With the strong support from her family, she started to hone her skills in sewing by taking on alteration and tailoring orders from her personal network of friends to supplement her household income. Eventually, she decided to rebrand her home business, Hanmor Costura, to include bridal tailoring and customisation services which has since become her main source of income.
Always on the lookout to diversify her skills and expand her business, Mdm Romnah enrolled into the AMP Micro Business Programme in 2017 to acquire business and financial acumen, as well as enhance her skills in making wedding crafts and accessories. Through the programme, she gained more confidence in her skills and in running her business. She was even awarded the AMP Capital Grant upon her graduation that same year.
Mdm Romnah went on to pursue other recognised courses such as those in Malaysia to improve her skillset and exchange ideas with other entrepreneurs. She aspires to specialise in her craftwork and work with her own business partner, who can assist in marketing her line while she looks at expanding her company and hiring high quality production seamstresses. She also has the desire to impart her sewing skills by running her own sewing courses in the future.